The mesmerizing style of Persian-Armenian theremin virtuoso, Armen Ra, has garnered the admiration of fans on multiple continents. He is considered one of the finest thereminists in the world today.
Intrigued by this strange and one-of-a-kind instrument, Armen Ra began to study the theremin in 2001. His debut performance came later that year when he shared the stage with the orchestral group, Antony & The Johnsons, in New York City. Soon afterward, Armen's well attended solo concert at The Gershwin Hotel was covered by CNN.
Armen has performed at upscale venues in the United States and Europe including:
- The United Nations
- The New Museum (NYC)
- Disney Concert Hall (Los Angeles)
- Wiener Konzerthaus Mozartsaal (Vienna)
- Villa Petraia (Florence, Italy)
- The REDCAT (Los Angeles), hosted Armen's performance of his critically-acclaimed multimedia piece, "METAL (A Tribute to Maria Callas)".
His debut solo CD, “Plays The Theremin” was released on Bowl & Fork Records in the summer of 2010. It showcases many classical Armenian laments and folk songs, representing both Armen's heritage and his first musical influences.
Armen has performed and recorded with a large variety of artists and orchestras. Recent performances:
- North American tour with rock icon Nick Cave's group, Grinderman.
- Collaboration with legendary British recording artist, Marc Almond, on his 2010 release, "Varieté". His exquisite theremin playing can be heard in the song "My Madness and I".
- Armen plays on the Current 93 album entitled "HoneySuckle Aeons". He appears in multiple songs on this 2011 release.
- Armen plays on the debut album of Drag RAce winner Sharon Needles. The songs "Every day is halloween" and "This cub is a haunted house" released 2013.
- Armen's recording of "Dle Yaman" was used for the video of designer Michael Schmidt's 3-D gown which premiered on NY TIMES.COM and will tour art museums around the world.
Currently Armen is in the process of promoting a documentary based on his life entitled "When my Sorrow Died".